Day 5 & 6 in SHANGHAI!!!
And I just can't stop showing you pictures of what we ate 'cos that's what I do! I make Tien hunt down food places with me whenever we travel!
Sun 22 Aug 06
A bowl of rice. I thought the bowl was nice... *heh heh heh*
Chinese Yoghurt drink, to absorb all the spice we ate.
OH this was really good! Spiced ribs! Very tasty and every table around us ordered this same dish!
Oily Celery with Lily
新天地, a whole side walk of cafes & pubs to chill
Older street in Shanghai, near Yu Yuan
Old street in Shanghai, the China Town equivalent. Didn't really like this as much 'cos it was too touristy to be real.
A suspending teapot, reminds me of the statues in Botanic Garden

This completed our 4-hour walk. Tien was so grouchy by then we had to go back to our hotel for a break. Thank goodness he's a quiet grouch rather than the noisy sort!
We had a dinner date with Lin Wei. Was looking forward to that as we haven't met since many months back. Unfortunately he left his mobile phone in the taxi that night, which was a bummer.
Dinner was at 人间, or People 7 at 805 Ju Lu Lu. Apparently it's owned by a Taiwanese, who opened #1-3 or 4 in Taiwan, and #6-7 in Shanghai. Ultra cool place, full of "deception". Check out the toilets if you get a chance to go harharhar!
This was a little disappointing 'cos I thought it'd be some amazing salad, but it turned out to be just vegetable sticks with dip. But I suppose the dip was pretty nice, and the sticks were longer than the ones we get back home.
I can't remember what dish this was, think it was chicken of small portion. The food is more fusion/modern chinese, nicely displayed. Portions aren't great though.
This is the amazing entrance. Strictly by reservations only, and you have to figure out how to open the door, like in Aladdin! No walk in guests!

We went off to another place for after-dinner drinks, at a cool place I can't remember where, shall have to update again I suppose. That was the only time we met Lin Wei. Glad that he's doing well now, and that everything worked out fine for him. It's a heart warming feeling to know that your friends are doing fine.
Day 6, last day before we fly home!
Mon 23 Aug 06
I dragged Tien to buy lamps with me. Was funny 'cos we ended up at the old address ('cos I had a 2-year old Timeout Shanghai) and were stranded in the middles of nowhere. Luckily, the shop lady (who wants business) got her colleague to pick us up and brought us safely to her store. It's hidden in the back of a school where rental is cheap. The room full of lamps was so amazing! Will post a picture of my latest collection soon, other than my hand chair. Tien always shakes his head when I want to buy funny things like that.
Dropped the lamps back at hotel before heading off to grab DVDs. Tried looking for Daddy's request (Shen Tan Di Ren Jie) but to no avail. So off we went to meet Tien's ex-colleague Charles from DB. Their office is (in the same building as my office) near the Pearl Tower. Looks like a UFO doesn't it?!
This is where Cloud 9 is, right at the top!
Tien managed to catch up with Charles for about 1/2 hour to an hour over light lunch, and we still had some time to spare. So what did we do? ATE AGAIN! This time we tried Sichuan restaurant 悄江南 at Zhen Da 广场. There was a table near us with a Singaporean Uncle lecturing 2 young chaps about business acumen. PLEASE!
Back to the more interesting bit (for me at least) - Food!
That's Twice cooked fish, really yummy!
Pumpkin Pancake
The amazing Tofu that set before our eyes! The chef poured half a pot of fresh soya milk into a glass pot, stirred it with a ladel full of magic ingredient, waited for 10min and VOILA! TOFU!
We can choose to eat it savoury...
or sweet, like 豆花! Yum! These were really good!
And because we wanted to indulge, we almost missed our flight. Thank goodness for Maglev (Magnetic Levitation) train. For what would have been a 45min taxi ride to the airport, we took a 15min ride to middle of nowhere - train station built in some strange place, boarded the amazing Maglev train, and reached Pudong airport in 7 MIN FLAT!
Check out starting speed...
And the maximum speed we were travelling at...
At 431 km/h, it's a amazing I didn't leave my teeth behind or something!








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home